At St. Mary and Sons of Zebedee parishes, we view the sacrament of Confirmation not as a graduation, but rather a renewal of faith. Confirmation strengthens the graces and gifts of the Holy Spirit which were already given in Baptism. The sacrament gives one the grace of added fortitude to continue to carry out Christ’s mission and be a courageous witness to Him, sharing the Good News with others as a disciple of the Lord.
Receiving the Sacrament
Catholic adults who have received the Sacraments of Baptism, First Communion, and Reconciliation and are interested in receiving the Sacrament of Confirmation should contact the parish office to inquire about preparation. Father Miniatt will meet with you and determine the preparation needed. Be sure to have documentation of when and where your Baptism and First Communion took place.
For high school youth, Confirmation preparation begins in 9th grade as we explore our Catholic faith more deeply and engage in a deeper understanding of what it means to receive the Sacrament of Confirmation and live out our Catholic faith. In 10th grade, students begin the Confirmation program, Decision Point, which they will complete in the 11th grade. After completing this program, students will then receive the Sacrament of Confirmation in the spring.
To receive the Sacrament of Confirmation the following requirements must be met:
- Must be 16 years of age or older or entering their junior or senior year of high school.
- Must have received the Sacraments of Baptism, Reconciliation and Eucharist.
- Regular attendance at Mass.
- Regular participation in and completion of the Decision Point program.
- Completion of 30 credits of service, compiled from grade 9-11
- Written letter of intent to the Bishop
- Choosing a Sponsor who will participate in your journey toward Confirmation.
- Choosing a Confirmation name, which is often the name of a saint
- Attendance at the required Confirmation preparation sessions and the Confirmation retreat.
If you have additional questions about the sacrament of Confirmation, contact Lesa Staehler. Adults seeking to be confirmed should contact Marissa Gassner at the parish office.